Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Character Guest Post: Anne Pierson of J. Arlene Culiner's THE TURKISH AFFAIR #characterday



Today is character guest post day! We have Anne Pierson from J. Arlene Culiner's THE TURKISH AFFAIR. Enjoy!


 I don’t want you to condemn me, or call me a coward: I pretty certain I’m not that. After all, it did take guts to pull up stakes, come live in Turkey, a country I knew nothing about. It also took determination to learn how to speak Turkish perfectly, and to blend into the local society, one so very different to the one I knew in the USA. So what if I keep my past a secret, if I refuse to get emotionally involved with anyone. I have very good reasons for being the way I am.

Once upon a time, I was a top-notch television journalist working In Washington D.C. My husband, Todd Farrandon and I were a team, and the public loved us. I’ll bet you even saw us in the old days: we were the hosts of, An Axe to Grind. Oh yes… I can see you know who I am now. That means you also remember that I was implicated in an embezzlement scandal, that the paparazzi hounded me, and that my unfaithful husband threw me to the wolves.

Those days are over. The fame and glory are long gone, and I don’t want them back, ever again. I want a calm, eventless life. I don’t want problems, and here in backwoods Turkey, problems are never far away. The police are corrupt, society is very rigid, and everyone is quick to condemn a foreigner who breaks the rules.

Which is why I refuse to get involved with Renaud Townsend, the archaeologist on the ancient Hittite site of Karakuyu. Yes, I know he’s interested in me, and even if I don’t want to admit it, the attraction is mutual. No, it’s even more than that. I can’t stop thinking about him. I want to touch him, be with him. But that’s impossible, because if he finds out who I really am, he won’t be interested for very long. Hasn’t he told me that important artifacts have been disappearing from the archaeological site? What if my name is linked to those thefts, too? If that happens, linking his name to mine will put him in danger. And, I’ll have to leave this town that is now my home, go hide somewhere else.





Love and Danger at the ancient Hittite site of Karakuyu

Priceless artifacts are disappearing from the ancient Hittite site of Karakuyu in Turkey, and the site director has vanished. Called in to solve the mystery, archaeologist Renaud Townsend is hindered by both his inability to speak the language and the knowledge that the local police are corrupt. His attraction to translator Anne Pierson is immediate, although he is troubled by her refusal to talk about the past and her fear of public scandal. But when murder enters the picture, both Anne and Renaud realize that the risk of falling in love is not the only danger.

Praise:
Author J. Arlene Culiner does not disappoint in this fast-paced novel, The Turkish Affair. Glittering descriptions, magical settings, and enviable characters bring the solemn grounds of Turkey to life as we are planted firmly in an archeological dig in Karakuyu, Turkey. Culiner’s mastery of the English language and sentence combinations form an enchanting read. The Turkish Affair is a must-read for all lovers of romance and adventure.
–Lisa McCombs for Readers’ Favorite

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823B18Z3

 Barnes & Noble → https://tinyurl.com/yx2lyg6v

 


Writer, photographer, social critical artist, musician, and occasional actress, J. Arlene Culiner, was born in New York and raised in Toronto. She has crossed much of Europe on foot, has lived in a Hungarian mud house, a Bavarian castle, a Turkish cave-dwelling, on a Dutch canal, and in a haunted house on the English moors. She now resides in a 400-year-old former inn in a French village of no interest and, much to local dismay, protects all creatures, especially spiders and snakes. She particularly enjoys incorporating into short stories, mysteries, narrative non-fiction, and romances, her experiences in out-of-the-way communities, and her conversations with strange characters.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:






No comments: