Friday, March 7, 2014

Interview with Tina Donahue, author of 'Stolen Desire'

Tina Donahue is an award-winning, bestselling novelist in erotic, paranormal, contemporary and historical romance for Samhain Publishing, Ellora’s Cave, and Kensington. Booklist, Publisher’s Weekly, Romantic Times and numerous online sites have praised her work. Three of her erotic romances (Adored, Lush Velvet Nights, and Deep, Dark, Delicious) were named finalists in the 2011 EPIC competition. The French review site, Blue Moon reviews, chose her erotic romance Sensual Stranger as their Book of the Year 2010 (erotic category). The Golden Nib Award at Miz Love Loves Books was created specifically for Lush Velvet Nights, and two of her titles (The Yearning and Deep, Dark, Delicious) received an Award of Merit in the RWA Holt Medallion competition (2011 and 2012). Take Me Away and Adored both won second place in the NEC RWA contest (different years). Tina is featured in the 2012 Novel & Short Story Writer’s Market. She was the editor of an award–winning Midwestern newspaper and worked in Story Direction for a Hollywood production company.

Email: tina@tinadonahue.com
Website: http://www.tinadonahue.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tinadonahue
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tina.donahue.75
FB Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/TinaDonahueBooks
Triberr: http://triberr.com/tinadonahue
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/authortina/my-books/
Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/author/tinadonahue
My page at TRR: http://erotic.theromancereviews.com/mypageprofile.php?location=tinadonahue


--> Congratulations on your new book! Can you tell us what it's about?

-->It's Book Four in my erotic paranormal series - Outlawed Realm - for Samhain. Here's the blurb:

Her freedom depends on one man. A criminal to his realm…

Outlawed Realm, Book 4

One minute, Paige Ross is outside a Seattle bar, grieving a failed engagement. The next, she jerks awake in a weird, candlelit room with velvet walls, black silk sheets, and a man who motions for silence.

Paige has little choice but to trust the powerful stranger who promises a way out of what looks like Satan’s brothel. And pray his promise to keep her safe is as real as the heat burning in his eyes.

Banished from E2’s ruling elite for supposed crimes against the realm, Zekin risks everything to rescue those brought to E5 for the guards’ carnal pleasure. Paige will be leaving this inhospitable realm of fire and ice—if he can somehow forget the way her trembling body melts in his arms.

Safe—temporarily—in an underwater world populated by strange creatures, Paige’s sexual awakening explodes into an unquenchable need that consumes them both. But the guards will be looking for her. And Zekin’s plan to send her home is a dangerous journey she cannot—will not—take without him.

Warning: Scorching-hot sex and loads of aching tenderness between a drool-worthy hunk who’s determined to do the right thing and a woman who’s not about to give him up.

-->Can you tell us about your publishing journey? How did you publish it?
-->I've been with Samhain for a couple of years now. Also, I'm published by Ellora's Cave and Kensington.

Originally, I wanted to write thrillers like Lawrence Sanders. I had several big-time agents representing those books at various times. The agents went wild about them. The publishers not so much. Finally, one editor suggested I write romance as there was a heavy romantic plot in each of my books. Oddly enough, I hadn't noticed it.

I wrote a couple of romantic comedies, since humor (especially irreverent humor) comes easily to me. My agent sent the first of the books to Kensington on a Friday. The following Monday an editor snapped it up and asked for more. I sold my first three romances that quickly. It was a HUGE high. :)


-->Now that you are published, can you give some advice to others who would like to get their book published?
-->1. Don't give up. It's a tough, brutal, at times scary business. But if you love to write, you'll do it anyway. Because you have to. It isn't an option. It's as important to you as breathing.

2. Promo. Get your name out there. I was very naive when I started in the business. I honestly thought that the publishers did all that work. I lost a lot of ground in the early years because I didn't realize how important promo was.

3. Pay it forward. Help other writers and they'll help you. You can't do without that.

4. Don't follow trends. Yep, I tried that too. By the time you write a vampire tale because vampire tales are so popular, they might be coming to an end. Write what fires you up. Don't imitate. Innovate.


-->If you had to do it all over again, what would you do differently?
-->I would have gotten into promo earlier. Basically, I'm an extremely shy person. I know, I know, given what I write that doesn't sound logical, but that's me. I don't like talking about myself. I envy writers who seem to love promo. I've often joked that I'm now a 'promo whore' but it's still difficult. I'm your typical nerdy author who likes to hide behind a computer screen and come up only for chocolate. :)

-->Where can we buy your book?
-->Samhain, of course. Just go to my page: http://store.samhainpublishing.com/Tina-Donahue-pa-1630.html

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Desire-Outlawed-Realm-Donahue-ebook/dp/B00GN98BW6

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stolen-desire-tina-donahue/1117398265?ean=9781619220805


-->Any final words?
-->Thanks so much for hosting me today.

I'm building a street team of loyal fans to help me overcome my shyness in promoting.

If you are a fan, please contact me at tina@tinadonahue.com. You'll get:

1. First crack at reading my books before they hit the stores. Reviews are certainly welcomed.
2. Monthly prizes for helping me to promo.
3. Mention in one of my books. Yep, I'll name a character after you. :)
3. My everlasting gratitude.
4. Whatever else I can think of. I need you guys. :)
            

No comments: