Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Character Guest Post: Sgt. Winston Windflower of Mike Martin's mystery memoir CHRISTMAS IN NEWFOUNDLAND: MEMORIES AND MYSTERIES

Today is character guest post day!  We have Sgt. Winston Windflower of Mike Martin's new holiday mystery/memoir, CHRISTMAS IN NEWFOUNDLAND: MEMORIES AND MYSTERIES, with us today. Welcome, Sgt. Windflower!


Finally, it’s my turn. I keep bugging Mike Martin to let me write, but he tells me my job is to look tall, dark, and handsome. Okay, I get that. But I also want to step out a little and tell you the real story. First a little about me.

I am tall, dark and handsome. Just wanted to repeat that. But I’m also smart, really, really smart. Sometimes ‘he’ makes me out to look like I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m the Mountie. I know what I’m doing. Most of the time. And if I don’t, I dress up in my red serge uniform and nobody cares. Plus, what ‘he’ doesn’t know is that I have learned to trust the other people around me. And I don’t mind if they get most of the credit. I would like to get a little more praise from ‘him’ sometimes.

Anyway, let me tell you how this whole thing works. I tell ‘him’ the story and ‘he’ writes it down. Sometimes ‘he’ takes a long time and many, many drafts to get it right. ‘He’ is very lucky to have an excellent team of beta readers and a fabulous editor. Otherwise, ‘he’ would never get it done. But somehow it does get done and now there are 8 books in the Sgt. Windflower Mystery series, plus the Christmas stories.

The Christmas stories are my favorites and not just because I’m in them. It’s because I love Christmas, all of the traditions and how people help each other bring joy into the world. Come along with me and Sheila and Eddie Tizzard and all the gang as we celebrate the most magical time of the year. I hope you enjoy Christmas in Newfoundland as we much as we had in creating it.

If you are a writer, stick with it. As I always tell Mike Martin: “Do the best you can with it and then get it out into the world.” You do what you gotta’ do to make that happen. And if you’re struggling, keep on struggling. If you are a writer, keep on writing. And remember what Stephen King told me about writing “The scariest moment is always just before you start.”

Bye for now
Sgt. Windflower



inside the book

Christmas in Newfoundland 4
Title: CHRISTMAS IN NEWFOUNDLAND: MEMORIES AND MYSTERIES
Author: Mike Martin
Publisher: Ottawa Press and Publishing
Pages: 113
Genre: Mystery/Memoir

From the author of the award-winning Sgt. Windflower Mysteries comes “Christmas in Newfoundland: Memories and Mysteries,” a welcome addition to the Sgt. Windflower family of books.

Christmas in Newfoundland is a special time. In the depths of long winter nights memories are made and stories are told. Of Christmas by candlelight and horse and buggy rides to church. Of shopping on Water Street in St. John’s before malls and the Internet.

In later years, Sgt. Windflower came to work and then to stay in the quiet town of Grand Bank by the Atlantic Ocean where the salt air froze in the wind and the Mounties were welcomed to warm themselves by every fire.

Come and warm yourself by the fire and hear their stories. Some memories and some mysteries. Enjoy some holiday time with Sgt. Windflower and all the familiar characters that you’d come to know and love. Good food, good friends and always another chair at the table.

order your copy below

Amazon → https://tinyurl.com/y39fby3r

_______________

teaser

Christmas in Newfoundland 11 anim
____________

meet the author

Mike Martin
Mike Martin was born in Newfoundland on the East Coast of Canada and now lives and works in Ottawa, Ontario. The Walker on the Cape was his first full fiction book and the premiere of the Sgt. Windflower Mystery Series. Other books in the series include The Body on the T, Beneath the Surface, A Twist of Fortune and A Long Ways from Home, which was shortlisted for the Bony Blithe Light Mystery Award as the best light mystery of the year. A Tangled Web was released in 2017 and the newest book in the series.is Darkest Before the Dawn which won the Bony Blithe Award in 2019. A new book in the series, Fire, Fog and Water is being released in October.
Mike is currently Chair of the Board of Crime Writers of Canada, a national organization promoting Canadian crime and mystery writers.

website & social links

Website → www.sgtwindflowermysteries.com

Twitter Link: → http://ww.twitter.com/mike54martin

Facebook→https://www.facebook.com/TheWalkerOnTheCapeReviewsAndMore/

_______________

teaser

Christmas in Newfoundland 8 anim

___________________________________________

No comments: