Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Interview with Jena C. Henry, author of The Golden Age of Charli

705341_Tour Banner_L1
 

Inside the Book:

The Golden Age of Charli

Title: The Golden Age of Charli 
Author: Jena C. Henry 
Publisher: iUniverse 
Genre: Fiction 
Format: Ebook/Paperback

Charlotte McAntic spent her thirties, forties, and even fifties in peace and harmony aligning her marriage, mortgage, careers, and children. As she stumbles into a new phase of life—also known as the Golden Years—Charli cannot help but wonder where the gold and her husband, Pud, are hiding. Pud is happily cruising down the retirement path that, for him, leads straight to the golf course. While Charli spends her days at home cleaning out closets and the basement, she yearns to gaze deeply into Pud's blue eyes and remember all the reasons why she fell in love with him thirty years ago.

Unfortunately, the only thing Pud is eying is the next fairway. Knowing there is more to savor in retirement than silver-hair shampoos, senior discounts, and hernia surgery, Charli embarks on a quest to do whatever it takes to spend retirement in the embrace of the man she loves. But is it too late for happily ever after? In this humorous novel, a high-energy wife and her solid guy must learn to adjust to a new chapter in their lives and find their way back into each other's hearts after their retirement begins with a jolt.  


The Interview

Can you tell us what your latest book is all about?

The Golden Age of Charli-RSVP is my first book and first in the Charli series. The book introduces Charli and her husband as they jolt into retirement. In this humorous novel, a high-energy wife and her solid guy must learn to adjust to a new chapter in their lives and find their way back into each other’s hearts. Is it too late for happily ever after?

How did you come up with the idea?

My book series is a tribute to my fellow baby boomers. We started our adventures in the youthful excitement and promise of the dawning of the age Aquarius. We didn’t trust anyone over the age of 30 and yet, years later, here we are, entering the new life of retirement. A life that may involve grey hair and creaking joints, but we still have that streak of adventure in us! I want us all to thrive in retirement!

What kind of research did you do before and during the writing of your book?

I researched comparable books and authors. I also researched how long a book should be, how many words were in the average novel, and how authors organized their writing. Most of my stories are based on my life, or the lives of my friends, but I did research and fact check places such as restaurants, food and wine, and points of interest.

Can you give us a short excerpt?

My pleasure! From The Golden Age of Charli-RSVP:

I’d had high hopes that when Pud retired, we would have fun together. But what exactly should we do? Just take it easy and binge watch multiple TV season? Or have contests to see who could read the smallest print without reading glasses, or who could count his or her pills into the plastic compartments the faster?

I didn’t seriously expect that we would spend dreamy hours of bliss in twin hot tubs sighing at the ocean view like in the TV commercials, but I did crave some romance now that we had time together after the busy years. I yearned to hold hands, look deeply into each other’s eyes and stroll together into our golden years. Pud was strolling all right- away from me.

In your experience, is it hard to get a book published today? How did you do it?

For my first novel, and the second book in the series that will be released soon, I chose to self-publish. The self-publisher I chose, iUniverse, offers many services- editing, cover design, and marketing. I have been happy with my decision, as self-publishing my book allowed me to publish with the support of professionals! And it turns out, I have enjoyed every aspect of marketing and promoting my books!

Thank you for the interesting questions and the opportunity to interact with you readers.


Meet the Author:
Jena C. Henry holds a juris doctor degree from the University of Akron, presents writing workshops, and loves good times with friends. Now retired, Jena and her husband, Alan, live in tropical Ohio where they enjoy their two adult children and extended family, friends, and darling dog. This is the first book in The Golden Age of Charli series.

 


No comments: